What we’re covering this week –
This week opens as trade ministers for the 12 countries negotiating the TransPacific Partnership conclude a meeting in Sydney aimed at wrapping up as many of the outstanding issues as possible before leaders meet next month. US Trade Representative Michael Froman returns to Washington to speak at two major conferences later in the week.
● On Monday, the TPP trade ministers are slated to conclude their meeting.
● On Tuesday, Irish Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton speaks to the European Institute.
● The State Department Advisory Committee on International Economic Policy holds a public meeting.
● Wednesday, the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation sponsors a program on Trade Promotion Authority. Rep. Jim Moran (D-
● The Atlantic and Aspen Institute kick off their two-
● On Thursday, the US Council for International Business holds a conference. USTR Froman and Undersecretary of State Cathy Novelli are among the speakers.
● Mr. Froman also speaks Thursday at the Atlantic/Aspen Institute Washington Ideas Forum.
● Friday, World Trade Organization Director General Roberto Azevedo addresses the heads of delegations.
● Also at the WTO on Friday, discussions on expansion of the Information Technology Agreement are held.
Click the highlighted text to hear snippets from WTD’s straight talk.
• Here’s a brief interview with the Heritage Foundation’s Foundry report with House Financial Services Chair Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-
• Here’s a brief snippet from remarks April 8 by Senate Finance Committee ranking Republican Orrin Hatch saying he is befuddled over why the President says he supports Trade Promotion Authority but doesn’t do anything about.
• Here’s Aspen Institute scholar and former Reagan Administration Assistant Secretary of Commerce speaking about with WTD on the many iterations of a US-